The holidays can be a very stressful time of year. From planning meals to dealing with the inlaws, it’s not uncommon to get into a few fights with your spouse. But how do you know if the arguments you’re having are due to holiday stress or if they point towards needing a divorce? At Simonetti & Associates, we will help with this. Our Long Island family lawyer will try and break down the holiday stress vs. what are some red flags for the relationship.
Signs Of Holiday Stress
Although some consider it the most wonderful time of the year, holidays place a burden on many families worldwide. Even in situations where families should be at their happiest, petty arguments and disputes can occur due to a wide range of factors. Some of the most common signs that you and your partner are being impacted by holiday stress that our Long Island family lawyer wants to call out include:
- Restlessness in the relationship.
- Fighting and disputes that started when the holiday season came.
- Feeling a financial burden.
- Choosing sides instead of working through problems.
Negating And Managing Holiday Stress
If the marital issues you are currently facing are being caused by holiday stress, the good news is that there are steps to prevent and stop this from happening. Those who want to stay married can benefit from these management and prevention methods greatly. The following are some of the best ways to get your relationship through the holidays:
- Plan to avoid making stressful last-minute adjustments.
- Make sure always to put your relationship and immediate family first.
- Create a holiday budget and stick to it.
- Set boundaries, and don’t be afraid to say no to plans.
When To Get A Divorce
Sometimes no matter how hard you try, a relationship can’t be saved. Even if you believe what you are going through is holiday stress, couples need to evaluate their issues thoroughly. Our Long Island family lawyer warns that if any of the below signs apply to your situation, divorce should be seriously considered:
- One or both partners are incredibly unhappy.
- Most interactions had with your spouse are not favorable.
- You are actively looking for reasons to avoid your partner.
- There has been a sudden change of behavior made by your partner.
- Every aspect of the relationship feels like a chore.
Schedule A Consultation
Many couples can get through the holiday stress and return to a happy relationship. However, those with more underlying issues won’t be as lucky. At Simonetti & Associates, we promise to be there for clients looking to get divorced. To schedule your free consultation with our Long Island family lawyer, contact us today.