Freeport Divorce Attorney
Achieving your objectives and controlling costs in your divorce
Simonetti & Associates understands that regardless of your net worth, you don’t want to squander money on your divorce. We strive to provide the high-quality legal representation you expect from a prestigious firm while working to keep your legal costs at a minimum. Whether you live in Massapequa, Huntington, Smithtown, Hicksville, Great Neck, Riverhead, or any town in between, voted Best Divorce Lawyer on Long Island, Simonetti & Associates is here to help.
Serving Long Island for more than 30 years
Simonetti & Associates has represented the residents of Long Island since 1990. Our founding member is a born-and-raised native of Long Island who has practiced law here his entire career. We understand the issues that most concern members of your community. Our main office, located in Syosset, New York, has available parking and is near major highways. We also maintain an office in downtown New York for our clients’ convenience.
Our attorneys have more than 30 years of experience managing complex cases, primarily focused on the areas of divorce, divorce mediation and other family law matters. We can put our experience to work for you.
What are the responsibilities of a Divorce Attorney
Are you considering divorce, adoption, guardianship or emancipation? Then you may need a family lawyer. A family lawyer is a licensed attorney who is responsible for legal issues involving family members. These lawyers can offer you legal advice, oversee family estates and observe meditation sessions. If you need a family lawyer, there is a Freeport Divorce Attorney that has your back. Visit Simonetti & Associates to get professional and compassionate help from experienced lawyers today!
The importance of protecting your privacy from the public:
Usually, most court proceedings, including divorce, are open to the public. So unless you file for divorce under seal, your divorce proceedings become public matters. When you file for divorce under seal, confidential information remains private from the public. Reasons to file under seal include:
- To protect victims of domestic violence
- Protect restrictive business information
- Protect children for identification in divorce records
- To keep sensitive info, such as social security numbers and bank account numbers private
Divorce can be a difficult situation to go through but making sure you have a great lawyer who will protect your privacy and ensure your financial security could make it a little easier. Get in touch with a Freeport Divorce Attorney if you have any questions on how to protect your privacy during this time.
The importance of protecting your privacy from your spouse:
When married couples separate, it can sometimes become messy and spouses may use every bit of information to gain an advantage over the other. It is important to that extra step the protect yourself during this time. This could include changing your passwords so nobody has access to social media websites or voicemails and hold it against you. Or even establishing an individual bank account in your name, since being linked to the same credit card account can lead to unwanted expenditures for both parties. It is also important to keep in mind that you need to protect any important documents such as:
- Birth Certificates
- Pension Papers
- Tax Returns
- Social Security Statements
- Real Estate Information
- Any Documentation Having To Do With Your Children
It is important to take these steps to protect your assets and family. All of this can be overwhelming though, and that list is just a glimpse of the things you’ll need. If you need help from a family lawyer, know that Simonetti & Associates can help! Learn more about our free initial consultations with a Freeport Divorce Attorney by visiting our website.
Why choose a Freeport Divorce Attorney?
Simonetti & Associates offers over 30 years of experience in family law while still having affordable, family-friendly rates. Our attorneys will help you with any problems you have and will protect your privacy at all costs. Request a consultation with a Freeport Divorce Attorney today to ensure you are being taken care of.
Benefits of a Free initial Consultation
For someone that requires legal services, the cost can be quite daunting. For this reason, it’s important to make sure that the legal team you hire has your best interests at heart and will do what they’re paid to do. One of the best ways to assure that the legal team you hire is the right team for you is to schedule a consultation. Although some law firms will charge you for this service, Simonetti & Associates, a Freeport Divorce Attorney, offers free consultations for all your legal needs.
You could spend hours, days, even months looking for a lawyer. Being able to talk one-on-one during an initial consultation can make the process even simpler. Getting to share your story as well as hearing any input from a Freeport Divorce Attorney, can help narrow down your decision and get the divorce process started sooner rather than later. Below are some of the benefits that come along with a FREE initial consultation:
- Provides perspective– As someone who is undergoing a legal matter, it can be hard to see the whole picture of your legal situation. Luckily, consulting with lawyers can provide the rest of the information and possible scenarios that you may not be taking into account. Plus, lawyers not only know, but they also have the experience to help you with your case
- Location– Many consultations take place over the phone. Therefore, you can get the answers and information you need without ever having to leave the comfort of your own home. Allowing you to work on your case on your time, not the law firms. Just call 877-385-2560 for your free consultation with a Freeport Divorce Attorney.
- Determines the status of receiving representation– You may be in need of a lawyer, but if your case doesn’t align with a certain law firms practices process then attending a consultation can tell you that before you spend the money.
- Interviewing– Not only will a consultation tell a law firm if you’re a good candidate for representation, but it will also tell you if the law firm is a good candidate to be your representation. After all, you’re the one paying you might as well do your research before investing
- Job– Many people have preconceived notions about how and what they’re attorney will be able to do for them. By having a consultation, you’ll find out for sure what a law firm can and cannot do for your case.
- Confidential– Even though you didn’t hire a law firm yet, the consultation you have is entirely confidential which means you have nothing to lose.
Contact a Freeport Divorce Attorney:
Overall, finding the right legal team can be a difficult process. Before investing in a legal team, it is important to do your research and find out if they can provide you with the services you need. Attending a free consultation with a Freeport Divorce Attorney is a free, insightful way to do just that. Trusted for over 30 years, our own Lou Simonetti is here to help you. Call, 877-385-2560, now for your free consultation with Simonetti & Associates today!
What is the Waiting Period for Divorce in New York State?
When considering a divorce, many factors arise, such as custody rights, alimony, and equitable distribution of assets. But what about the waiting period for a divorce? The divorce process can seem long and gruesome, but with Simonetti & Associates, we are here for you when your spouse is not. If you are in need of a Freeport Divorce Attorney, set up a FREE consultation with our team today. With an experienced lawyer, we reduce any stress you may have. We simplify the process as much as possible for you!
Waiting Period in NYS:
In New York State, the average duration for divorce is 9.5 months. The national average is 11 months. There is no official waiting period for New York State, but there are specific reasons why a court will not immediately hear your case.
Types of Divorce:
A ground or reason, for divorce, is either considered fault or no-fault when it comes to filing paperwork. Your Freeport Divorce Attorney can break these down further.
- Fault Divorce – In a fault divorce, you prove your spouse caused your marriage for one of the following reasons:
- Physical/mental abuse
- Abandonment for at least one year
- Imprisonment for at least three consecutive years
Certain fault divorce cases are emotionally tolling. For example, when proving adultery, you must have evidence from a third-party.
- No-fault Divorce – This divorce is just as it sounds. One spouse is not to blame. Rather, the marriage has been broken and there is no use in attempting to mend it any longer. However, the marriage must be broken for at least six months.
Residency Requirements for Divorce in NY:
For the courts to finalize your divorce, you and your spouse must meet a residency requirement. If you have any questions, your Freeport Divorce Attorney can help.
- You were married within New York AND one spouse has lived in New York for at least a year
- You were married out of state but lived in New York as a married couple AND one spouse has lived in New York for at least a year
- You/your spouse has lived in New York for at least two years
- You/your spouse has lived in New York for at least a year AND the cause of divorce came up in New York
- Both spouses live in New York AND the cause of divorce came up in New York
Contact a Freeport Divorce Attorney:
If you are worried about the length of your divorce process, do not fear. At Simonetti & Associates, we strive to ease any pressure you may have. A Freeport Divorce Attorney will fight for you. Request a FREE consultation today.
How Can I avoid Going Through a Hostile Divorce?
Divorce is never an easy time. It can put a strain on all parties involved. Relations between you and your soon-to-be-ex can start to become hostile and lead to a more difficult and messy situation. If you have any questions or need guidance through your divorce, we recommend speaking with a Freeport Divorce Attorney. At Simonetti & Associates, we understand how straining the divorce process can be. Our experienced lawyers can help you avoid going through a divorce that turns hostile and makes the divorce even more of a difficult then it has to be.
Tips For Making Your Divorce Less Hostile:
Prior to going through the divorce process, it is important to keep a few of the following pointers in mind. Taking the time to evaluate yourself and your situation can help you prepare for a quick and easy divorce. Here are some tips:
- Consider divorce alternatives – For example try mediation, separation, or getting an annulment as an alternative to divorce.
- Speak with an experienced Freeport Divorce Attorney early in the process – Understanding the aspects, steps, and potential problems that can arise early on can help make the process easier and less hostile.
- Try to be on good terms and communicate with your soon-to-be-ex if possible – Trying to be civil and honest with your soon-to-be-ex can help decrease tensions and prevent irrational decisions from being made during the divorce.
- Secure a court-appointed judge to take on your case – Securing a court-appointed judge who knows your case and the parties involved can help make quicker and more reasonable decisions and impose any necessary punishments throughout the divorce.
- Keep your new relationship private – Divorce can be lonely and difficult, and it is not unlikely that you may want to start a new relationship with someone else. Try and keep that new relationship private and off social media though, so your new partner won’t have to be involved in the divorce.
- Have a strong support system – Even if it’s just two or three friends or family members, having people you can speak to and count on can make it a less difficult time.
- Don’t forget about self-care – In a time of hostility and worry, take time to check on yourself, relax, and be sure that you are handling everything okay.
Remember to Keep Your Kids in Mind:
The involvement of children will always make decisions within a divorce more difficult because ultimately, you want to do what is best for them. Making your kids a priority, and not using them as pawns in the divorce, can make the process less hostile and more simplified for everyone. Putting your children first can help guide decisions and rules surrounding the divorce.
How a Freeport Divorce Attorney Can Help You:
An experienced Freeport Divorce Attorney can help you with any step in your divorce. The lawyers at Simonetti & Associates strive to provide high-quality and attentive legal counsel to all their clients and can help you to be as informed as possible in all stages of your divorce. Consider speaking with one of their lawyers to learn more about how you can make your divorce a less hostile time. Contact us for more information.