Being in an abusive relationship is a difficult ordeal; it can sometimes feel like there’s no escape. But Simonetti & Associates is a long island family lawyer dedicated to helping families with any legal issues they might be experiencing, especially by providing them with the services necessary to get out of an abusive relationship.
Signs of an Abusive Relationship
As the top long island family lawyer, we know that the signs of abuse can sometimes be hard to tell, which is why we’re here to help you recognize some common signs that are often seen in abusers. While not every case is the same, some abusers might display only one of the following warning signs or portray multiple. Some of the most common warning signs include:
- Extreme Jealousy: Extreme jealousy is when the abuser questions the victim on who they’re talking to, accuses them of cheating, prevents the victim from seeing family, friends, or coworkers, and frequently calls or texts to see where the victim is.
- Controlling Behavior: Controlling behavior is when one partner completely controls the relationship and makes all of the decisions. The abuser could also control other things such as how much money the victim spends, who to talk to, and checking the victim’s texts, email, and browser history.
- Unrealistic Expectations: Unrealistic expectations are when the abuser expects the victim to fit their “perfect” expectations despite being impossible or impractical.
- Use of Force with Sex: Use of force with sex is when the abuser throws or holds their partner down during sex. The abuser will also pressure the victim into having sex even if they don’t want to or do things they don’t want to.
- Verbal Abuse: Verbal abuse is when the abuser degrades the victim by shouting, cursing, calling them names, or putting them down. The abuser might also try to embarrass the victim in front of others.
- Threats or Use of Violence: Threats of violence are when the abuser threatens physical harm meant to control the victim. And the use of violence is when the abuser physically harms the victim and throws or breaks objects on or near the victim in an attempt to scare them.
At Simonetti & Associates, we offer a list of services needed to help victims of abuse leave their abusive relationships. Our long island family lawyer offers these services:
- Equitable Distribution of Assets
- Child Custody
- And more
Contact our Long Island Family Lawyer
Our long island family lawyer provides all the services you need to end your marriage as quickly and benefit you as possible. Contact our office today.