When you begin hearing about complicated divorces that threaten the safety of those involved, it becomes clear that the couple may benefit from an order of protection. This legal document can be granted in cases where a partner has reasonable grounds to fear abuse from their partner and will offer them protection from future harassment. Orders of Protection can be extremely important during divorces if escalated quickly due to their nature and can also threaten the reputation of a partner if wrongly accused. At Simonetti & Associates, a Suffolk County Divorce Lawyer is here to help you decide if obtaining an Order of Protection is the right decision for you.
What will an Order of Protection do?
An order of protection is a legal document that can help support you if you feel that your spouse is threatening your safety. To defend yourself from any abuse or harassment, the order will typically include protections to keep distance between you two through restrictions such as:
- Keeping them away from you or members of your household
- Keeping them distanced from your workplace and/or child’s school
- Allow the police to protect you while you collect your things from the home
- Stop contacting you via calls, texts, or emails
Additionally, lawyer services can also be made available to assist you through defenses against an abuser. To reach out to a Suffolk County Divorce Lawyer for a free consultation, visit our website here.
How Do I File for an Order of Protection?
To receive this order, the first place to start is with Family Court. Our Suffolk County Divorce Lawyer can help you through the necessary steps, making the process as efficient and smooth as possible. This will likely mean:
- Petitioning your case to the court and attending a hearing without your partner
- Having a judge review your statements and deciding to issue a temporary order
- Returning to the court with your partner to propose an extended order, which your partner can argue
Contact Our Suffolk County Divorce Lawyer
We understand that this experience can be very emotionally draining and stressful, but at Simonetti and Associates, our goal is to provide you with the best possible representation to have your voice heard and your experience shared. Before scheduling an appointment with us, it may be helpful for you to review a few more important details about this process from the NYPD, as we know that every case is unique and different. For more information, click here.