Beyond the emotional intricacies present in any divorce, high net worth divorce comes with several unique challenges. If your divorce case entails the division of a large marital estate, working with a divorce lawyer in the Hamptons NY is crucial to getting an equitable divorce. At Simonetti & Associates, our experienced attorneys are well-versed in high net worth cases and can help you achieve the best possible outcome. Continue reading to discover more about navigating a high net worth divorce.
What Is A High Net Worth Divorce?
A high net worth divorce is one where the combined liquid assets of a couple exceed $1 million. Regardless of how much money is involved, high net worth divorces tend to be challenging to navigate since many assets are at stake. When dividing property and assets, the process is more difficult during a high net worth divorce. In these situations, one or both spouses can have a combination of the following:
- Multiple business offices.
- Retirement accounts.
- Multiple properties.
- Other high-value properties (vehicles, jewelry, antiques, etc.).
Navigating High Net Worth Divorce
You may believe that having a prenuptial agreement would make the process easier. However, these documents are often challenged in court and cause proceedings to drag out. In any case, you will want strong representation from a divorce lawyer in the Hamptons NY to guide you through this process and ensure the best outcome for all parties involved. There are several steps you will need to take if you want to have a smooth separation and fair outcome:
- Hire an experienced divorce lawyer – Even if you think you have a clear case, you still need proper legal representation. A good attorney will do more than represent you at hearings and work with you every step of the way.
- Accurately document your assets – Taking stock of your assets is arduous during a high net worth divorce. Our attorneys will help itemize, value, and quantify your assets.
- Reach an agreement – Once the assets have been counted and valued, our attorneys can help propose a fair and just division of assets. This phase may not be easy, but you can file for an uncontested divorce hearing if you reach an agreement.
- Present your case – While many divorce cases are settled without going to trial, you may need to present your case in court. Your lawyer will be a valuable asset. Each side will submit their proposal for child support and custody, property division, and alimony, where applicable.
- Appeal or accept – If you are content with the outcome, you can accept the terms of your divorce and proceed to execute it. If you disagree, you can file an appeal.
Contact Our Divorce Lawyer in the Hamptons NY
If you are considering divorce and your marriage involves a lot of assets, our divorce lawyer in the Hamptons NY is here to help. At Simonetti & Associates, we’ll fight hard to protect your interests throughout the divorce process. Contact us today to learn more about high net worth divorce and request a consultation.