divorce attorney in nassau county

Can A Father Refuse To Pay Child Support?

In all 50 of the United States, parents have a legal obligation to support their child after a divorce or separation.  Unfortunately, some parents attempt to avoid this responsibility, leaving their children without the financial support they are entitled to.  While in some cases this can be reversed, the usual outcome of a divorce involves granting the mother with custodial rights and having the father pay child support.  But what happens when the father neglects his payments?  At Simonetti & Associates, we don’t want to see mothers deal with this situation alone.  Our divorce attorney in Nassau County will build a case that allows you to recoup the money you and your child are owed.    

How Long Does Child Support Last?

While a father is not allowed to skimp out on child support, there are situations where the need to make payments times out.  The following are the only situations where the father can stop paying child support:

  • Your child is no longer a minor
  • Your child has joined the active-duty military
  • Parental rights have been terminated through legal processes
  • The court has declared your child to be emancipated

Consequences Of Non-Payment

When the father of your child has stopped paying child support, you should not take this lying down.  The father is obligated to pay the amount that was determined by the court, and failing to do so is against the law.  By working with our divorce attorney in Nassau County, you’ll ensure child care payments start getting made, and appropriate punishment is doled out.  Examples of consequences the father can face include:

  • Jail time
  • Seizure of property
  • Garnishment of their wages
  • Interception of their tax refund
  • Suspension of their license

When To Hire A Divorce Attorney In Nassau County

After going through a lengthy divorce process, the last thing you may want to do is head back to the courtroom to settle another legal dispute.  However, contacting a divorce attorney in Nassau County immediately after the father has stopped paying child support will help make the situation easier.  Our attorney will bring this matter to the court, ensuring the father is held accountable for his actions, and get you the money that has been withheld. If you’ve been unfortunate enough to be placed into this situation and would like to learn more about your options, please don’t hesitate to contact us today.

product image
Overall Rating
How do others rate this location?
5 based on 11 votes
Simonetti & Associates
Service Offered
Divorce Attorney