Child support can be pricey. However, what you pay in New York State is based on your gross income, so you shouldn’t be struggling to pay it. If you have recently experienced a change in your life that is causing you to struggle to pay for child support, you qualify for child support modification. Child support modification is changing what you pay for child support if specific changes occur in you or your child’s life. For example, if you lose your job, it is important to file for child support modification as soon as possible. Other circumstances that would allow you to file for a child support modification include:
- Change in cost of raising the child
- Change in income by 15%
- Three years have passed since the order was last made or updated
Luckily, at Simonetti & Associates, a divorce lawyer in Glen Cove can help you file for child support modification in the easiest way possible!
Are there different types of child support modification?
Depending on your situation, the court may decide to grant either temporary or permanent modification. When you set up a consultation with a divorce lawyer in Glen Cove, your attorney can discuss the differences between them. They’ll most likely explain to them like this:
- Temporary Modification – If the court grants you this, you’ll be required to pay out a one-time large sum for your child’s needs.
- For example, you’d be putting money towards things like getting braces or a uniform for school or sports.
- Permanent Modification – If the court grants you this, then it will reflect any substantial changes in the needs of your child.
- For example, if your child has special needs, the expenses both you and your partner will incur will most likely increase over time.
While child support modification may seem easy, it does come with its complications. To successfully change the amount you pay for child support, you must prove to a judge that your circumstances require you to spend less. Because the modification cannot be done without a court order, you’ll want to enlist the help of an experienced lawyer.
If you’re in the Nassau County area and are considering child support modification, look no further. At Simonetti & Associates, there is a divorce lawyer in Glen Cove that can start you off by offering a free consultation to discuss your needs. We take pride in the fact that our firm is filled with experienced family lawyers that are devoted to helping you get the settlement you deserve! So don’t wait, contact a divorce lawyer in Glen Cove today!