Divorce can sometimes become very confusing and complicated. There’s no need to panic though because, at Simonetti & Associates, a Massapequa divorce lawyer will guide you every step of the way and make this as easy and stress-free as possible. Something that many people seeking a divorce often wonder is how long they will have to pay spousal support to their ex-partner, following the divorce.
First, it is essential to know exactly what spousal support consists of. While divorce marks the end of a marriage, it does not necessarily mark the end of the contributions the spouses must make to each other, especially in the financial realm. Therefore, the partner who earns less money is permitted to receive spousal support, also known as alimony, following a divorce. It is only available to those who were legally married, and the exact terms of financial assistance are determined by the court based on factors such as:
- Earning capacity and potential
- Household and/or career contributions
- The span of the marriage
- The recipient’s physical health
After the exact numbers of spousal support are figured out by the court, you may wonder, how long will I have to keep paying my ex-partner? The New York State guidelines, as reviewed and used by the court, are as follows:
- If the marriage lasted up to 15 years, you may pay spousal support for between 15% and 30% of the total time you were married
- If the marriage lasted between 15 years and 20 years, you may pay spousal support for between 30% and 40% of the total time you were married
- If the marriage lasted more than 20 years, you may pay spousal support for between 35% and 50% of the total time you were married.
While this may sound complicated and stressful, at Simonetti & Associates, a Massapequa divorce lawyer will be equipped with the tools and skills to help you in this trying process with ease and clarity. We are here to make this as stress-free as possible. Our office of divorce lawyers is located close to Massapequa and other major towns on Long Island, making it easy to serve clients from all over the New York area! For more information and to schedule a free consultation with one of our talented lawyers, call us at 877-385-2560.