No matter who you fall in love with, you should be able to start a family whenever you’d like. Luckily, in New York State, same-sex couples have the same adoptive rights as traditional male/female couples. This adoption process in New York offers an equal opportunity to all people. However, any adoption process can be long and tedious. You will want a divorce lawyer in Manhasset who specializes in adoption law to support you through your journey.
Types of Adoption for Same-Sex Couples
Couples of the same sex can choose to adopt a child individually. If a couple would like to adopt a child together, there are two options:
- Joint Adoption– Both members of the relationship can adopt a child that is not biologically related to either person in the relationship. This process will follow the same guidelines as any other couple adopting a non-biological child. This type of adoption can follow through as a private adoption or agency adoption. If this is the route you and your significant other would like to take, be sure to get a divorce lawyer in Manhasset who is experienced in family law.
- Second Parent Adoption– If one significant other has a child that is biologically related to them, the second parent can choose to adopt the child, even if the couple is not legally married. This can be a great option for many same-sex couples who want to start a family but are not yet married.
How a Lawyer Can Help
Adoption can be an overwhelming process. Do not go through this alone. Hire a divorce lawyer in Manhasset who specializes in family law. A lawyer can help in the following ways:
- Find an agency for you to adopt from
- Assist you in obtaining and filing the correct paperwork
- Represent you in court if necessary
- Prepare for potential hearings in the adoption process
- Help expedite the adoption process
If you and your partner are considering adoption, you will want to begin by talking with a family law attorney. Simonetti & Associates will provide you with a free consultation where you can ask all of your lingering questions. Do not hesitate to get the appropriate support you need in navigating your adoption process. Make your dreams of having a family a reality, today.