Best Ways to Reduce Divorce Cost
While divorce may be a costly and stressful endeavor, there have been proven ways to keep costs down and to keep more money in your wallet during this process. If you are looking for a divorce lawyer in Hicksville, who will deliver quality service, contact us at Simonetti & Associates. We have over three decades of experience helping the community in the Long Island area, and we can ensure that all, not just some, of your requests are attended to during this difficult time. We also offer advice and techniques to help you make financially savvy decisions during this whole process. If you are interested in practical ways to reduce divorce cost, contact us today for your free consultation and read more about efficient ways here.
- Use unbundled legal services: Remember that you can always use lawyers as a fee-for-service consult rather than paying one flat fee from beginning to end. By researching what exact services you will need from your lawyer, you can know more about how much to pay per service.
- Negotiate: By opening up a setting to negotiate with your ex-spouse and your ex-spouse’s lawyer, you can avoid the unnecessary fees of hiring a judge and taking things to the next level. While the environment may initially be contentious and intimidating, try to make some time to step away from the situation and look at things practically. If you and your ex-spouse can come to negotiations on your own, you can limit the extra cost of having lawyers or judges involved in dividing up assets.
- Prioritize: By understanding what is important to you and what is worth your time, you can figure out if you and your ex-spouse will need two lawyers or possibly a collaborative lawyer who can work with the both of you and help reduce costs.
- Learn everything you possibly can about your state’s divorce laws: By understanding your state’s divorce laws, you can come prepared with the documents and knowledge of the process you need before seeing the lawyer. This will help reduce costs because you will need the lawyer to review and sign papers rather than research and bring documents to you. Much of this information is public, found on the internet, and you can talk to public services such as social security to find out more.
- Indigency: If you meet specific criteria that verify you make below the poverty line in your area, you will not be obliged to pay for legal fees and services associated with hiring an attorney. This criterion is different in every state and even county at times, so it is important to keep documentation of your income level and research what this amount entails.
- Make sure all paperwork is filed correctly: By submitting paperwork again, you may have to pay additional administrative fees. For this reason, it is critical to ensure that all paperwork has been filed appropriately from the beginning with completion of all required signatures and proper documentation. It is vital to have an attorney review the paperwork before so that you can guarantee you won’t have any unforeseen hiccups down the road.
Divorce Lawyer in Hicksville
At Simonetti & Associates, we want to make sure you have plenty of benefits during this difficult situation. By taking the steps outlined above, you can help save your money and financial assets. We are a well-reputed divorce lawyer in Hicksville, so if you think you can benefit from our services, do not hesitate to get in contact with one of our attorneys today!