Are you a resident of Huntington, NY and looking to file for divorce? Simonetti & Associates offers compassionate assistance, aggressive advocacy, and reasonable divorce attorney rates. If you are specifically looking for a Huntington divorce lawyer or any Suffolk/Nassau County lawyer, we are available to help.
Divorce law can be complicated. At Simonetti & Associates in Huntington, we understand that divorce isn’t easy, and that is why we want to do everything we can to help take the pressure off, starting with a free, no-obligation consultation. We will:
- Take the time to listen and fully understand your concerns
- Make sure you understand the legal process
- Thoroughly explain the different options for dissolving your marriage
To start a divorce case there are some legal requirements to be met. Including…
- Residency – You and/or your spouse have to show that you have lived in New York State for a certain amount of time, without interruption (usually one year).
- Grounds – You must have a legally acceptable reason to get a divorce in New York. You must prove one of the following grounds
- Confinement in prison (three or more consecutive years)
- Cruel and Inhuman treatment
- Living separate and apart pursuant to a separation judgment or decree
- Living separate and apart pursuant to a separation agreement
- Irretrievable breakdown in the relationship for a period of at least 6 months.
When it comes to property during a divorce, both spouses’ incomes and debts owed will be told to the judge. If divorce is granted from the court, the property will then be divided equitably (not always equally) between spouses. In regards to child custody in New York and on Long Island a judge will always consider what is in the best interest of the child(ren).
We are here to help make filing for divorce easy, even in a difficult situation. Whether you are in need of a Huntington divorce lawyer, Garden City divorce lawyer or any Suffolk or Nassau divorce lawyer, contact us at 877-385-2560.