During a divorce agreement, you’re likely making several arrangements for child custody and dividing up property and finances, but alimony is something you should also consider. At Simonetti & Associates, our divorce lawyer on Long Island would like to dig deeper into alimony and why it may be something worth seeking. Continue reading to learn more!
What is Alimony?
Alimony, or spousal support, is an arrangement made for one spouse to pay the other an amount of money periodically over a specified period of time. The idea of alimony is that the paying spouse is helping the other live a lifestyle that they were accustomed to. In New York, there are several forms of alimony available to accommodate different circumstances, including:
- Temporary Alimony – The court may award temporary spousal maintenance so the dependent spouse can maintain the lifestyle they are used to during the divorce process.
- Rehabilitative Support – Rehabilitative support or durational maintenance may be granted to allow recipient spouses to improve their potential for employment. The spouse may further their education, receive job training, or gain relevant work experience to become self-sufficient. This can also help stay-at-home parents with custody of small children stay with their children until they reach schooling age.
- Permanent Maintenance – Permanent or lifetime maintenance continues until the death of the paying spouse or recipient or the recipient’s remarriage. This alimony can be adjusted depending on the circumstances of the former spouses.
When the court is deciding whether to order alimony payments, they start by determining whether one spouse needs support and whether the other can pay. Some of the factors judges may consider include:
- Each spouse’s income, debts, and assets.
- Standard of living during the marriage.
- The length of the marriage.
- Both spouse’s age and health.
If you are asking for support, it’s best to consult with a divorce lawyer on Long Island for help. Our team will evaluate the circumstances of your case and help you achieve a favorable outcome to ensure you are financially secure in the event of divorce.
Contact Our Divorce Lawyer on Long Island
At Simonetti & Associates, our divorce lawyer on Long Island uses pre-divorce planning strategically to help clients transition more smoothly. Our team will support you throughout the process and help you make informed decisions that empower you and bring you financial security. Be sure to contact us today to learn more and schedule a consultation.