Are you and your spouse a same-sex couple looking to adopt a child? If so, Simonetti & Associates are there to help. As the best adoption lawyers on Long Island, we can help you with any questions regarding adoption that you might have.
Adoption can be a long process, and adopting as a same-sex couple can be tricky depending on the situation. While some states may have laws against same-sex adoption, you do not have to worry about that in New York. Before you decide on what you want, you should consider what options you have, as there are many different types of adoption:
- Agency adoption: an agency sets you up with a potential birth mother who is looking to place her child for adoption
- Private adoption: similar to an agency adoption, but the couple knows the birth mother beforehand and covers the expenses privately.
- Domestic adoption: adopting a child from the United States.
- International adoption: adopting a child from outside the United States. International laws play a part in this, depending on which country you adopting from.
- Stepparent adoption: adoption of a stepchild.
- Third-party adoption: the adoptive family is not related to the child.
What are some of the challenges that a same-sex couple may have regarding adoption? Thankfully, in New York, you do not have to worry about these issues as much as other states. However, just because you are legally married to your partner, does not mean that the child will legally be both of yours, as some states do not recognize same-sex adoption. If you have any questions regarding same-sex adoption laws here in New York, Simonetti & Associates will provide you the best adoption lawyers on Long Island to help.
Many same-sex couples worry about the stigma that adopting children could have for them. Others may worry that same-sex couples raising children could raise their own children to become homosexual as well. However, according to Lifelong Adoptions, there is no correlation between the two. There is also no evidence supporting that children of same-sex couples are any less intelligent, nor suffer from more problems or low self-esteem than children of heterosexual couples.
If you are a part of a same-sex couple and are considering adoption, Simonetti & Associates are there to help. We will answer whatever questions you have regarding adoption, and what your options are. Adopting a child can be a wonderful but lengthy process, and we will guide you every step of the way to make your family a whole.