A prenuptial agreement, more commonly referred to as a prenup, is defined as a written contract that is for two people who are getting married. Within this contract property rights for each individual are determined once they are married. These rights may include property or debts that have been incurred before marriage. If you are in the process of getting married, and are considering or just want more information on prenuptial agreements, there is a divorce lawyer in Rockville Centre that can help. At Simonetti & Associates, our team specializes in a variety of different areas of family law, including prenups.
Why do I need a prenup?
Prenups are typically related to wealthier couples since they can serve the purpose of protecting assets that were gained before marriage. Yet, they can be beneficial for a wide range of purposes that have nothing to do with finances. When meeting with a divorce lawyer in Rockville Centre, you will learn that a prenup can help in the following circumstances:
- Allow you to pass property along to children that were obtained during a prior marriage.
- Clarify financial rights between you and your partner.
- Protect yourself from any of your partners’ debts.
- Divide property now, in the event that you will divorce, to make the process simpler.
Common mistakes made when creating your prenup:
Without the help of a divorce lawyer in Rockville Centre, a prenuptial agreement can be complicated. This is why we want to highlight some of the most common mistakes that are made when navigating these types of contracts. Below are typical mistakes you should try your best to avoid when drafting up your prenup:
- You don’t want to talk about it – just because a prenup doesn’t scream romance, doesn’t mean you should avoid it. Many couples will tiptoe around the idea of a prenup because they fear the response from their partner. What you need to realize is that after the wedding and the honeymoon, life goes on and you need to have set plans for the future.
- Using the same lawyer – contrary to what you may believe, having the same lawyer may not be beneficial in the long run. It is best to have a lawyer for each party so that everyone involved feels comfortable and is properly represented.
- Rushing into an agreement – signing just to get the process over with is never the best choice. You want to ensure that you won’t regret anything that is being put into place with this contract. By rushing, you could be causing bigger problems down the road.
- Letting your emotions get in the way – during this process, it is so important that you communicate with your partner. It’s very easy to get upset or emotional when defining certain terms in a prenup, so you must be open and honest with your partner so that your judgment is not being clouded.
How can a divorce lawyer in Rockville Centre help?
While prenuptial agreements may seem scary, know that they aren’t. With the help of our team at Simonetti & Associates, we can ensure that there is no confusion when it comes to creating your prenup. We are here to clarify any legal jargon, as well as make sure your best interests are met. If you and your spouse are considering drafting a prenuptial agreement, know that our team is eager to help! For a free initial consultation, visit our website today!