Going through a divorce is extremely difficult. The situation not only takes a toll on your pockets but also your time and emotions. It is hard enough going through a divorce when you and your ex-spouse live in the same location, but even harder if you both live in different states. Here at Simonetti & Associates, a Suffolk County divorce lawyer, has over 30 years of experience when it comes to working with couples going through a divorce, especially those living in different states.
Often, people who file for a divorce will end up moving to a different state, but it is important to know these few facts before filing for a divorce in the state that you live in:
- When filing for a divorce, all states require that you be a resident of the state. The amount of time that goes into deciding if you are a resident varies from state to state, but the range is usually 6 months to a year.
- Spouses may file for a divorce in their states, but the rule generally is that the petition that is filed and served first will proceed to court. This being said if you would like to settle to divorce in a court of your home state it is important that you file as soon as possible.
- Knowing the laws of each state is also very important when petitioning for a divorce. This is because certain states may have various laws in places such as determining custody of your children, child support, division of valuable property, and spousal support.
As many know going through a divorce is not a cheap expense, and because of this, it may add more financial burden to your already stressful situation. Some helpful tips to help lower the cost of your divorce, especially for couples in different states include:
- Divide Household items on your own: Doing this allows you to save time, and money on an attorney.
- Choosing your divorce process: Often those going through a divorce want to go straight to a trial, but by avoiding trials and allowing your attorneys to settle your case this also reduces your budget greatly.
- Organize your financial records: By having your financial records in order allows your lawyers to save them and yourself more time, and lowers your budget because it cost more for your lawyers to have to receive these documents on their own.
Contact a Suffolk County divorce lawyer:
We at Simonetti & Associates a Suffolk County divorce lawyer know how difficult a process going through a divorce is, and we want to make it easier for our clients. If you or someone you know may be going through a divorce, feel free to visit our website to learn more information.