Gray divorce is a term used for when people married 40 years or more decide to separate and get a divorce. This situation is more common than you might think and can be a result of a number of different things. Whether it’s simply growing apart as you have aged, different lifestyles now or a different financial situation, a gray divorce can be the outcome of these situations. At Simonetti & Associates, we have been voted the best divorce lawyer on Long Island and can help you through the process of a gray divorce.
Reasons for gray divorce
- As you have gotten older with the person you married, one or both of you may have changed in different ways, as a result, your relationship may no longer be the same as you once had. It is simply best to move apart from the other person.
- Now that you are near or in the retirement stage of your life you may want different things out of this stage of your life. One of you may want to go out and experience all life has to offer and travel, while the other may want to spend their day relaxing and taking it easy after years of working.
- Another reason for gray divorce is a different financial situation than you are used to. While you were in your prime working years and money was consistently coming in, you may not have had to think twice about making certain purchases. However, now that you are not earning as much the lifestyle that you once led may not be attainable now. This can lead to disagreements and built up tension which can ultimately lead to divorce.
Things to consider
- Retirement plans– Since most gray divorces occur to those near or during retirement, it can play a big role in your retirement plans for the future. Who may lose finances that you may have expected to have and as a result, you may not be able to have the retirement that you had hoped and planned for. However, by working with an experienced lawyer you will be able to ensure that you get what you deserve out of your divorce. It is vital that you work with the best divorce lawyer on Long Island.
- Social security– Once couples have been married for longer than 10 years, they are eligible for a portion of their partner’s social security checks if they choose to divorce. This can play a major factor for those getting gray divorce because once again that money that they had counted on being there may no longer be fully available to them.
A gray divorce can be a complicated and difficult decision to make, there are a lot of factors that can contribute to getting a divorce at this age. Our lawyers at Simonetti & Associates will handle your divorce with care, respect and, professionalism. Which is why we have been voted best divorce lawyer on Long Island. If you’d like to set up a consultation with us, make sure to contact us today.