Going through a divorce is seldom an easy process. When one or both spouses are in the military, it can further complicate things. Fortunately, here at Simonetti & Associates, we are well versed in handling situations like this. Our divorce lawyer in Sag Harbor will walk you through what to expect and explain how we can help. If you’d like more information now, don’t hesitate to contact us to schedule a free consultation.
Where To File For A Divorce
One of the reasons military divorces are more complex than regular ones is that military families move around at a high rate. Military members can switch states often, meaning the state you were married in may not be the state you live in now. With military retirement funds needing to be split between the spouses, among other issues, it’s essential to understand where you can file for a divorce. According to our divorce lawyer in Sag Harbor, military divorces can be filed in a state applicable to the below:
- Where the military spouse is domiciled.
- Where the military spouse is a resident.
- A state which you and your spouse have both agreed to file.
Creating A Family Care Plan
Custody agreements can be complicated under the best of circumstances. What happens when one spouse in the marriage is in the military? Our divorce lawyer in Sag Harbor has the answers for you. The military requires a Family Care Plan to be created if a child’s caretaker may be deployed to active duty. These plans allow for the child to be protected and cared for. Information that is required to be placed into these plans include:
- Caregivers and contact information.
- Information about the other child’s parents.
- Information about how the child will be financially supported during the service member’s absence.
- The name of the person the service member wishes to take custody of the child in case of the service member’s death.
What Else Our Divorce lawyer in Sag Harbor Helps With
Military divorces are often a complex and highly involved process. To ensure it goes as smoothly as possible, you’ll need to work with an expert legal team. At Simonetti & Associates, we can be that team. Our divorce lawyer in Sag Harbor will assist with all aspects of a military divorce, including the below:
- Military disability pay and divorce.
- Legal separation options.
- Calculating child support.
- Custody disputes.
- Military benefits after a divorce.
At Simonetti & Associates, we respect all service members in the military. If you believe a divorce is on the horizon, we’ll be there to help. To schedule your free consultation with our divorce lawyer in Sag Harbor, contact us today.